Saturday 18 December 2010

welcome letter

probably the last post as i don't want to get boring (i think you already are luv! says Taigh reading this over my shoulder and not missing an opportunity for an insult-thanks for that my loving teenager!)

Anyway i'm still in recovery mode which is frustrating at times, especially when i have a really good day with minimal pain which makes me think - yay its getting better and i have a little dance around the kitchen. Then the pain comes back (maybe its the dancing?) and i'm stumbling around the house trying to straighten my body up and counting the hours for the next pain killer slot. I suppose its going to take some time but the energy needed to stay positive sometimes eludes me. Im comforted tho by chats with my friend Peter who went through heart transplant surgery with his twin brother recently and is now comparing scars with me and trying to remember rude jokes about drambuie (my other painkiller) to cheer me up! Everybody i talk to tells me how brave i've been but i honestly don't think i could have done it without the total love, support and positive messages from everyone i know. My 'district nurse' Liz has been an unfaltering rock and i am constantly amazed by her unconditional love and limitless humour which has helped me forget the pain and dragged me out of what could have turned into a black hole of depression.

- the copy of a letter to my GP I received as a result of the post operative clinic visit cheered me today. They write in such a charming way that it is easier to relay word for word-

I was very pleased to review Mrs Romanczuk in the clinic today. She is making an excellent recovery although she still needs to recover strength and wellbeing. Unfortunately Mr Strauss who performed the operation is on annual leave and I am sure that he would be delighted to know that the patient is recovering well. Perfectly reasonably Mrs Romanczuk asked me about the risk of recurrence. She does have a low grade liposarcoma and therefore there is always the low risk of recurrence but hopefully of the order of 10-15% Obviously we will watch her carefully in this clinic for a minimum of ten years. I hope that the patient is reassured.

I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment